Quinta da Regaleira
A fabulous assemblage of constructions full of Templars and Masonic symbols
After changing hands various times between 1697 and 1817, the estate became known as Quinta da Torre.
Bought in 1840 by the Baroness da Regaleira, daughter of Alfredo Allen, a wealthy trader from Porto, the property is transformed into an elegant summer retreat with a palatial house and chapel. Its name was changed to Quinta da Regaleira.
In 1893 it is acquired at a public auction by António Augusto Carvalho Monteiro (1848-1920), a man of vast culture who had amassed a fortune in Brazil. He then added surrounding plots of land giving it the present pentagonal outline of the property boundaries.
Carvalho Monteiro , profoundly influenced by the 'revivalist' Neo-Manueline architecture of the times, took inspiration for the construction of the palace and its chapel from the structural and decorative eclecticism of the Pena Palace and the Neo-Manueline style of the Palacio do Buçaco designed by the scenographer-architect Luigi Manini (1848-1936).
He hired Manini to design and build Regaleira. The project was completed in 1911.
The Quinta da Regaleira was purchased in March 1997 by the Sintra Town Council which, since then, is undertaking a vast conservation and rehabilitation program.
The dining room is overwhelmed by the massive fireplace that supports a statue of a woodsman. The mantelpiece depicts hunting scenes that are exceptionally well carved.
The theme of the 'cycle of life' is evident throughout the room: from the polychrome Venetian mosaic floor to the carvings of the ceiling.
The room design was Inspired by the Templar Convent of Tomar .
Built in the Neo-Manueline style, the Capel is decorated by scenes of the life of Jesus Christ.
The crypt is linked to the Palace through a tunnel.
The Gods Promenade
An alley with statues of classical gods: Fortune, Orpheus, Venus, Flora, Ceres, Pan, Dionysus, Vulcan, Hermes, etc.
The Portal of the Guardians
A highly dynamic structure composed of twin towers flanking a central pavilion under which is hidden one of the underground ways to the Initiation Well.
The Initiation Well
A 'subterranean tower' sinking 27 metres into the earth accessible by a monumental stairway, full of masonic, esoteric and alchemical symbols.
The Underground Walkways
A large network of tunnels links many buildings of the estate.
Open all year except December 24th and 25th
Minimally from 10:00 until 17:30
|April to September||10:00||19:00||20:00|
|Children up to 8 years Entry||€ Free|
|Children from 9 up to 14 years Entry||€ 3,00|
|Student above 14 years Entry||€ 4,00|
|Adult Entry||€ 6,00|
|Senior (above 65 years) Entry||€ 4,00|
Coordinates: 38.7960136; -9.3959981
Bus 435 (4 Palaces line)
Every 25 minutes, from 09:40 until 18:15
Sintra Train Station > Historic City Centre, Tourist Office, Sintra National Palace > Regaleira Palace > Seteais Palace > Monserrate Palace > Seteais Palace > Regaleira Palace > Historic City Centre, Sintra National Palace > Sintra Train Station