Portugal Virtual

The City

Portugal > Tourism > Algarve > Faro > The City versão portuguesae-Mail
Home | History | The Municipality | Lodging | Handicrafts | Gastronomy


Hotel Faro****
Just 5km from the airport, Hotel Faces the city´s marina, from which boat taxis can take you to the soft sandy beaches on the beautiful islands in the Ria Formosa Natural Park. The Hotel offers 60 rooms, including 1 suite, restaurant, panoramic bar and terrace, located on the last floor of the building that provides a flaring sight on Ria Formosa and the historical zone of the city.


The walls that surrounded the town in Moorish and medieval times. The vestiges of the past still to be seen in churches and museums. The refreshing verdure of a garden beside the lagoon and the sea. The outline of noble residences that bear witness to Faro's splendour in centuries past. Narrow streets of whitewashed houses that recall the town's Moorish heritage. These are among the sights to be savoured on a walk around
Faro, a city where there is lots to see, to enjoy and to remember.
This monumental arch, inaugurated in 1812, was built to a design by the Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri over one of the medieval gates set into the ramparts. It has a niche with a statue of Saint Thomas Aquinas that is of Italian origin.
Hermitage of Nossa Senhora do 0 (Our Lady of O)
Situated on the ramparts, this chapel was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755 and has an interesting facade.
It is probably here, during the period of Moorish rule, that a statue of the Virgin mentioned in one of the Canticles of Santa Maria written by King Alfonso X of Castile was kept.

The main chapel boasts a fine retable, throne and two Italian canvasses. The two collateral chapels are among the best examples of baroque carving in the Algarve. The walls and retable of the Chapel of the Santissimo Sacramento (Most Holy Sacrament) are decorated with carvings and four 18th century paintings. The Chapel of the Santo Lenho (Holy Cross) contains magnificent carvings, an important collection of relics and the tomb of the cathedral's founding bishop (18th century). Among the side chapels, those dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Our Lady of the Conception) and São Domingos (St. Dominic) deserve a mention for their tile decoration and for the gothic structure that they retain; the Chapel of Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres (Our Lady of Pleasures) is a jewel of baroque art, with carvings; inlaid marble, tiles and paintings; while the Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Rosário (Our Lady of the Rosary) has a carved and gilded altarpiece, panels of figurative tiles from the end of the 17th century and two curious and extremely rare lamps depicting Negro figures (18th century).

Misericórdia Church
The church. with its adjoining hospital, was built at the end of the 16th century at the instigation of bishop Afonso Castelo Branco, over the old Manueline Espirito Santo (Holy Spirit) chapel and hospital. It is the only church in the Algarve built in the form of a Greek cross to a plan that is believed to have been the work of an architect from Lisbon. The earthquake of 1755 caused extensive damage, prompting bishop Francisco Gomes to renovate the facade and build a new hospital (1795-1815) to a design by the Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri, who was also responsible for the Arco da Vila on the other side of the square.
Episcopal Palace
This is one of the Algarve's foremost buildings in the "cha" (plain) architectural style which predominated at the end of the 16th and throughout the 17th century. It was partially rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755. The doorway and the outline of the distinctive pyramid shaped "tesouro" roofs create an interesting contrast with the strict geometric lines of the facade. The walls of the atrium, stairway and three display rooms are clad with an important example of rocaille tile decoration from the third quarter of the 18th century. (Access is restricted).

Church of the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco
The narrative tiles which adorn the walls of the main chapel and the carved cornice are from the beginning of the 18th century. The tiles on the vault are from later in the same century: rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755, the vault has at its centre a fine polychrome panel depicting the Coronation of the Virgin. The main altar and the eight sectioned dome over the transept are decorated with magnificent carving in the rocaille style. Other parts of the church are decorated with panels of 17th and 18th century tiles. There is an interesting collection of mannequins that are intended to be dressed and used in the Cinzas (Ashes) and Dores (Pains) processions. There is a series of Italian paintings (end of the 18th century) depicting the life of the patron saint.

Hermitage of Nossa Senhora do Repouso (Our Lady of Rest)
This small chapel was built in the 18th century, inside one of the Moorish arches set into the ramparts.
Ramparts and Castle
Faro's defensive walls were raised by the Moorish prince Ben Bekr in the 9th century. The two barbican towers which defend the entrance to the Arco do Repouso (Arch of Rest), have their origin in the reinforcement of the city's defences during the 12th/13th centuries.
Church of São Pedro (St. Peter)
Built in the 16th century on the site of a 15th century mariners chapel, this church, like many others, underwent extensive modifications following the earthquake of 1755. It has a portico in the mannerist style (end of the 16th century ), with a niche containing a statue of the patron saint. The interior consists of three naves. with columns which are copied from those in the cathedral, put in at the time of the rebuilding work in the 18th century.

Carmo Church (Carmel)
The bulky form of the Carmo church, with its imposing facade and twin bell towers, stands out against the city skyline. Building work on it continued throughout virtually the whole of the 18th century and into the first years of the 19th (the last bell tower was completed in 1807). The church houses an important collection of religious statuary; including nine statues of the Triumphal procession which are the work of the Algarvean sculptor and carver Manuel Martins.
Church and Monastery of the Capuchos (Capuchins)
Built at the beginning of the 17th century, this structure has a facade typical of capuchin architecture, with arcades and a statue set in a niche.
Hermitage of Sao Sebastião (St. Sebastian)
Of the original medieval structure all that remains is a gothic chapel with a panelled vault. The main chapel has a carved and gilded retable (18th century) and the walls are decorated with blue and white and patterned polychrome tiles (17th century).

Hermitage of Nossa Senhora da Esperança
(Our Lady of Hope).
Originally built in the 15th/16th centuries, this chapel was rebuilt in the 18th century. Its cupola and bell?tower are decorated with rococo ornamentation. At one time there was a lepers hospital attached to it.
Hermitage of Santo António do Alto / Antonine Museum
Built beside a watchtower in the Middle Ages, the chapel retains from this period a stone marking the year of its construction - 1355 - and has a panelled vault which dates from the early, 16th century.
Celeiro de São Francisco
(Granary of St. Francis)
This octagonal structure (18th century) was built within a garden as a place to rake shelter from the heat. The representations in mortar work of Hercules and the giant Adamastor which adorn two sides of the facade are curious examples of the tastes of the age. The arms of the nobleman on whose orders the building was erected are visible over the door.

Hermitage of Nossa Senhora do Pé da Cruz
(Our Lady of the Foot of the Cross)
This chapel dates from the 17th century and has been altered since. The edge of the facade and the large front window are profusely decorated in the rococo style (third quarter of the 18th century). The main chapel and triumphal arch are adorned with gilded carving. There is a statue of the patron saint (17th century) and twelve large canvasses depicting scenes from the old testament (18th century). On the rear facade is a monumental station of the cross bearing an unusual depiction of Nosso Senhor dos Aflitos made of cut tiles.
Hermitage of São Luis (St. Louis)
Located on what were once the outskirts of the city, this is a 17th century structure which was extensively rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century. Interesting cupola.
Hermitage of São Miguel (St. Michael)
This was the private chapel (18th century) of a nobleman's house and has a facade of striking simplicity.

Lethes Theatre
A former college of the Society of Jesus (16th-18th centuries), this building has the sober facade typical of Jesuit buildings. It was turned into a theatre in 1845 and is an interesting example of a 19th/20th century provincial playhouse.


Algarve Regional Museum
This houses a valuable collection of objects and photographs related to the culture of the Algarve.
Maritime Museum
This museum houses a small but interesting ethnographic collection related to marine activities and fishing in the Algarve, including models of the different types of vessel used.

Infante Dom Henrique Archaeological Museum / Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Assunção
Raised on the site of the old Jewish quarter at the initiative of two pious sisters born in Beja; work on the church and monastery continued from 1519 until 1550. The building was completed by Queen Catarina (1507-1578) and is an important example of the art of the first renaissance in the Algarve. The church door has pilasters with figurative decoration. The cloister is on two storeys, with four sets of arcades and decorative gargoyles in the shape of animals. There is an interesting lookout tower (16th century).

Home | History | The Municipality | Lodging | Handicrafts | Gastronomy
Portugal > Tourism > Algarve > Faro > The City
Portugal Virtual

The City