For those interested in visiting monuments and museums, the Cascais-Estoril area offers many options from houses dedicated to the fine arts, to historical monuments, to exhibition centres and the Vasco da Gama Aquarium. Although some places require an entrance fee, these are usually very reasonable and applicable only to adults. Students and Seniors often also receive reductions on entrance fees and it is common for entrances to be free on Sundays.
Every day 10h00 - 20h00
The House of Stories and Drawings of Paula Rego was inaugurated in 2009. Brought to life by Paula Rego herself, witht the cooperation of the Cascais Town Hall, the exhibition centre features several of her works of art as well as some of her late husband, Victor Willing. The building itself was designed by Eduardo Souto de Moura who used the landscape features to give the structure character.
Tue - Sun 10h00 - 17h00
Home to several permanent exhibitions linked to marine biology and the relationship between Men and the Sea, The Sea Museum also hosts temporary exhibitions. The museum's name renders homage to Portugal's last King D. Carlos de Bragança as he was a great lover of the sea and patron to many activities linked to it.
The Cascais Cultural Centre is located in what used to be the Convent of Our Lady of Mercy (Convento Nossa Senhora da Piedade) Demarked by its bright colours, it regularly hosts exhibitions and small concerts.
Every day 10h00 - 17h00
This small palace was commissioned to Luigi Manini in 1900 by George O ‘ Neil, a descendant of the King of Ireland. This gentleman was a known gambler and lost the property in 1910 to Manuel de Castro de Guimarães, the Administrator of Lisbon and the Azores. The Count of Castro Guimarães, although married to Maria Anna de Andrade de Castro de Guimarães died with no children to inherit his fortune, hence, he donated his property in his last will and testament to the Village of Cascais.
Every day 9h00 - 20h00 10h00 - 18h00
Previously owned by the very rich and renown Marquis of Pombal, otherwise known as the Count of Oeiras, this palace was his official residence at the time. It is possible to visit both the house of palatial proportions as well as the gardens, featuring the Fountain of the Poets.
Tue - Sun 10h00 - 18h00 10h00 - 17h00
This gunpowder factory was in activity between the years of 1540 and 1940. The factory is currently used as the Museum of gunpowder as well as a small exhibition centre dedicated to culture and leisure.
Tue - Fri 10h00 - 17h00
The Old Car museum features a permanent exposition of old cars and bicycles that intends to illustrate the development of our transportation vehicles in the 20th Century.
Every day 10h00 - 17h00
The Leceia archeological station began its excavation work in the 19th Century by Carlos Ribeiro. The structures have been determined to be prehistoric and have undergone several fases during the passing ages. The buildings include residential and defensive units.