In the former 13th century Franciscan Convent located in the heart of the historical centre of the Alentejo town of Beja, we find this impressive Pousada. Combining the mystic monument with the needs of today's standards of well-being and comfort, the São Francisco Pousada, with its magnificent cuisine, allows guests to relax both body and mind.
The first records of S. Francis Convent, date from the 10th November 1268, marking the donation of lands, for its construction, from Paio Pires to Lopo Esteves. In 1304, according to the legend, D. Dinis ordered the construction of a chapel in honour of Saint Louis, Tolosa Bishop, for his help during a bear attack that occurred at a hunt near the Guadiana River (area of Baleizão).
In the 17th /18th century, the first remodeling work took place, in the refectory and in the cloister. The first general remodeling occurred during the rein of D. Pedro II and D. João V, time when the new dormitories where built. With the end of the religious order in 1834, the convent was profaned and most of it golden plate altars where transferred to the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Piedade.
In 1992 the Project to adapt the Convent to a Pousada of Portugal, was approved. The building restoration allows us, today, to contemplate the Old Church, an area where meetings, conferences and exhibitions are held today.
Walking through the square cloister, that rounds the inner patio, our mind drives along history. As we reach the Gothic Chapel, the old Thumbs Chapel, the quietness and peace of mind are unquestionable, due to its beauty and simplicity. Entering the Chapter Room, where great decisions where once made, in order to help people in need, this renewed space invites now to a relaxing read. In the centre of the cloister there is a cistern with water to serve all the building hold in four pillars, beneath the floor. Through the garden we can find some paintings from the XVII century, that used to be, for decorate some walls of the Convent. In 1994 is discovered in the Convent, a roman necropolis.
There are 34 Rooms and 1 Suite in this Pousada.The rooms have the following equipment:
With a cosy and relaxing ambiance, the former dining-hall of the monks has many histories of the Francis community to tell, and offers all the traditional flavours of Alentejo. The Pousada has the ability to organize cocktails, coffee breaks and banquets. The restaurant has capacity for 140 people.
BEST RATES GUARANTEED
Your reservation is guaranteed to have the best rate available on the Internet. If you find within 24 hours of booking a lower rate for our pousadas on another website for the same room type, dates, and payment requirements we will match this rate.
|Prices in Euros per Double room, per night including breakfast and taxes|
|Type of room||01/08/13
|01/04/14 to 31/07/14
15/09 to 31/10
|(*)Rates From||(*)Rates From||(*)Rates From||(*)Rates From||(*)Rates From|
*Rates are valid up to 9 rooms, vary according to the pousada availability and variation of the best available rate, please double check rates when booking.
(A) New Year - From 28/12/13 to 01/01/14 Same Rates as From the 01/08 to 14/09/14
(A) Easter - From 17/04/14 to 19/04/14 Same Rates as From the 01/08 to 14/09/14
Single Occupancy - 10.00€ discount
Cancellations: First night will be charged if reservation is cancelled less than 48 hours prior to arrival date. No-Shows: Entire stay will be charged.