On the colonnade in front of the Basilica, statues of four Portuguese
Saints can be seen: St. John of God, St. John of Brito, St. Anthony
and Bl. Nuno of Santa Maria. From one side to the other, from left to
right, are the following saints: St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis de
Sales, Bl. Marcelino de Champagnat, St. John Baptist de la Salle, St.
Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri, St. Jonh Bosco with St. Dominic Savio, St.
Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Simon Stock,
St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Paul of the Cross and St. Beatrice da Silva.
The white marble statue in the niche above the entrance to the Basilica,
sculptored by Fr. Thomas McGlynn, OR, shows Our Lady in one of her apparitions
when she urged devotion to her Immaculate Heart.
Begun in 1928 and consecrated on 7 October 1953, its 15 altars are dedicated
to the 15 mysteries of the Rosary. The painting above the high altar
depicts the Message of Our Lady to the little shepherds, prepared by
the Angel of Portugal, through their encounter with Christ in the Eucharist.
The Bishop of the diocese is shown kneeling on the left side, and the
figures of Pope Pius XII (who consecrated the world to the Immaculate
Heart of Mary in 1942, and whose Legate crowned the Statue of Our Lady
in 1946), of Pope John XXIII and Pope Paul VI. Scenes of the apparitions
are represented in stained glass, as well as invocations from the Litany
of Our Lady. In the four corners of the Basilica interior are placed
the statues of the great apostles of the Rosary and of devotion to the
Immaculate Heart of Mary: St. Anthony Claret, St. Dominic of Gusman,
St. John Eudes and St. Stephen, King of Hungary. The tombs of Francisco
and Jacinta are in the Basilica, and, in the